Friday 5 May 2017

Stob an Aonaich Mhoir

After a cooked breakfast at the B+B the next morning, I made the short drive to Bridge of Ericht at the west end of Loch Rannoch from where I intended to cycle in on the estate track which leads ultimately to Corrievarkie Lodge on the eastern shore of Loch Ericht. The Corbett of Stob an Aonaich Mhoir was my goal for the day and I wasn't looking forward to the 12km cycle in, ascending to the high point of the road at over 600m before I set foot on the hill. In fact the road was a delight to cycle - the tarred surface was good and most of the inclines were not too steep, and anyway, the thought of freewheeling my way back down to the lochside kept me going.
Following at first the River Ericht the road turns north east after the dam at the southern end of Loch Ericht and begins to climb steadily into the hills with not a soul to be seen. At the high point I left the bike and climbed the last 230m on grassy slopes to the summit. What a viewpoint! The full length of Loch Ericht stretched before me and directly opposite was the massive hulk of Ben Alder, still with some snow.
The sunshine and the panorama before me were indeed to be savoured and I spent a contented half hour taking it all in before returning down the slopes to the bike and an easy cycle back to the Bridge of Ericht after two excellent days in the hills.

Northeast from the summit to Loch Ericht

Summit cairn with Meall na Meoig in distance



From summit cairn looking southwest

No comments:

Post a Comment