Sunday 22 February 2015

An Teallach

Since I had come north specifically to volunteer as client while Tim prepared for his WML assessment it was pretty vital we found some decent snow, and early Friday morning we set off for An Teallach.
The plan was to walk in to Glas Tholl from Dundonnell House and climb directly up on to the summit of Bidean a Ghlas Thuill via a 300m snow and ice filled gully from the corrie floor.
Now I have reached the summit of this particular Munro a number of times but never by such a direct route! The route looked long and challenging, despite being only a Grade I climb. Still, I had every confidence in Tim who is an excellent guide. The snow was hard packed and the climb seemed relentless.
It took us over 3 hours to reach the ridge - I say 'us', I mean 'me' since I don't doubt that Tim could have danced up in under an hour!
In the end, we topped out just as the sun was setting over Sgurr Fiona and the surrounding mountains. Conditions were perfect and the views were magnificent.
We dropped back down into the corridor as darkness fell and headed back to the car, and a long drive home, under a canopy of stars. A truly awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment