Monday 29 July 2019

Corbett bagging 1

Last week I found some unexpected free time and so decided to drive north to climb some far flung Corbetts which I had wanted to do for a while.
I left early on Tuesday morning via the A9 and turned off at Tomatin to drive down the delightful Strathdearn following the River Findhorn. Leaving the car at Coignafearn I cycled the rest of the way to Dalbeg in hot sunshine - and a very strong headwind! I ditched the bike here and took the good track up the Allt Creagach and Allt Odhar towards Carn na Saobhaidhe an unimpressive summit area, surrounded by peat hags and landrover tracks. I did, however, have a close encounter with a beautiful mountain hare. I carried on to Carn Mhic Lamhair to try to avoid the worst of the peat hags on the way back to the track. A strong wind was still blowing and I was glad it would be at my back for the cycle out along the glen.
The next day I left the Black Isle Berries Bunkhouse at Tore in pouring rain with the intention of climbing Carn Chuinneag from Strathcarron and Glen Calvie. As I started up the glen the rain had stopped and the sun had come out - it was going to be a lovely day. I could have taken the bike up as far as Diebidale but I had all day and walking up the glen was a pleasure.
A good stalkers path is a beautiful and effort saving thing, and the path zigzagging its way up the steep slopes of Carn Chuinneag's west top was one of the best. The views were opening up in all directions as I approached the summit, with not a living thing to be seen anywhere. I enjoyed my solitude at the cairn for a while before starting back down the slopes to the glen, and my drive to Ullapool.
Carn Chuinneag

Looking north-east from summit

View west

No comments:

Post a Comment